Thursday, April 16, 2009

Family Ties 1


For centuries, the standard unit of human existence has been the individual. Descartes'
"I think, therefore I am" was not only an epistemological argument, but also a statement concerning the sovereignty of the individual, "I think, therefore I am".

The case can be made that the Bible presents the standard unit of human existence as the family. In the Old Testament, the individual exists as an extension of the family, not the other way around. Understanding this concept gives depth of meaning to the strong emphasis in scripture placed upon both parenting and marriage. To be terse, my family is more important than I am.

5 comments:

  1. I was just reading something very similar yesterday. One of the points that this particular author was making was that stories about individuals in the Old Testament are representative of the whole (usually the nation of Israel).

    Community, whether that is family, neighborhood, state, country, whatever has always been an essential aspect of the biblical narratives.

    Part of the good news is that we are 'born again' into a new family.

    Anywho, just my immediate thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am because we are.

    i heard this today and liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. emma, the phrase that you are referring to, I think is "ubuntu" which is an african saying. there is a coffee shop really close to my house that has this painted on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like that even better, thanks terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey. start writing again. i miss you.

    ReplyDelete

 

Aaron Michael Baker Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template designed by Ipiet's Blogger Template